Requirements and Eligibility
A Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent.
If you need to improve your subject knowledge, you may be asked to complete a subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) course.
GCSE grade 4 (C) or above in English and maths (and science if you’re training to teach at primary level) or equivalent qualification.
We’ll consider candidates with pending GCSEs.
Candidates who haven’t achieved grade 4/C but are otherwise suitable may be able to take an equivalency test. We accept GCSE equivalency tests from any UK university, our own Tes Institute GCSE equivalency tests in maths, English and science, and we also recommend equivalency tests from A Star Equivalency Testing, Educate Initial Teacher Training, Maths Made Easy, AQA, Edexcel and any UK exam board.
If your qualifications come from a non-UK institution, we may want to see a ‘statement of comparability’ from UK ENIC. This will show us how they compare to UK qualifications.
You can call Get Into Teaching on 0800 389 2500 for:
- Guidance on the UK equivalents of your qualifications
- A free statement of comparability once you’ve submitted your application (if we ask you for this)
You’ll need to:
- Possess the appropriate qualities, attitudes and values expected of a teacher. These are skills such as resilience, commitment and adaptability, together with good communication skills.
- Having a sound grasp and understanding of your subject, or a commitment to developing your knowledge across the Primary curriculum, and being enthusiastic about working with young people is essential.
- Satisfactorily complete all safeguarding checks before the start of training (and such checks must not identify you as being unsuited to working with children).
- Meet the Secretary of State’s requirements for health and physical capacity to teach
- School experience is not essential and we welcome applications from all interested candidates.